I have a hate-hate relationship with Excel. I recognize that it’s an amazing tool. I also recognize that much like a winch, it’s a tool that I have a limited ability to use. Why do I hate it? Let me count the ways-
1. Sheets are divided into cells. Enough said.
2. There are formulas that seem to take on lives of their own.
3. I can’t figure out how to get it to do what I want.
4. I don’t even know what I want it to do.
5. I like paragraphs.
6. As soon as I get a row, column, or cell formatted correctly, I touch something that screws up everything else.
7. I keep hitting “undo” and I get nowhere fast.
9. Projects are called “workbooks.” Brings back bad memories of math in elementary school.
10. It makes me feel dumb.
I swear on a stack of spreadsheets that I am going to master this evil devil if it kills me. In the meantime, Happy Valentine’s Day to all–except Excel. I’ve got no love for you.